Default Afro comb technique

Hello All!!

i recently came across an article in the UK Quilling guild's newsletter...it showed instructions on how to use an Afro Comb to make a quilled christmas tree!

I am still not sure as I always end up with a tangle instead!

Is there anything else I can use instead of an Afro comb?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by IreneH
    Hello All!!

i recently came across an article in the UK Quilling guild's newsletter...it showed instructions on how to use an Afro Comb to make a quilled christmas tree!

I am still not sure as I always end up with a tangle instead!

Is there anything else I can use instead of an Afro comb?
    You could try an onion holder - it may be easier to hold and manage as it is without a handle.The prongs are also likely to be more rounded. I use this to make wheatear leaves etc. Good luck.
    Angie

So do i wind the paper strip alternately around and through the comb prongs and then lift out the paper to glue or what?

I'm still getting a major tangle which looks nothing like the picture!!

So do i wind the paper strip alternately around and through the comb prongs and then lift out the paper to glue or what?

You need to glue the paper on each winding round the prongs. Its been a while since I used this technique so I can't remember everything... If you start with the longest point you will be doing then you will work either side of this. Anchor the paper on by wrapping a small bit round a bottom prong a gluing to itself.

I hope this is of some help.
    ~You must be the change you want to see in the world. ~
    ~Ghandi~

I have not tried making an xmas tree with this method but i think i can see how it would work. i agree with Gecko - for this design a little dab of glue at the end before the next turn. I would also suggest not pulling too tightly on each turn so that it is easier to slide off at the end.

When i use the onion holder to make wheatear leaves, i do not glue at all until i remove it. I simply grip it at the bottom (turning) end.

This subject is surely a good one for any video experts who could demonstrate as it is quite hard to describe.

Keep trying and good luck - let's see a picture of this tree when you master the technique!
    Angie

Which issue of QT is it? I'll be able to see what you're doing and may be able to help more (assuming I have that copy myself) if you think it will help.
    ~You must be the change you want to see in the world. ~
    ~Ghandi~

7. Red face Afro Comb

Hi, I have the instructions for an angel made using an onion cutter. I don't know if I can down load it here.
    Let me know if want me to send it to you.
    Paper_Posie