Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Varnishing quilled items

I thought i did put in a new post this morning but anyways i'l try it again. My question was about varnishing. I would like to varnish some of my quilled jewelry but haven't the slightest idea as to what varnish is used. Do they have anything specific only for paper or quilled items and are there any other substitues? The only varnish i know of is the one used for furniture. I would be so happy if i get to know what it is. Thanks so much. By the way just want to say how happy i am for stumbling over this site. I have learned so mcuh since then and i feel at home here

In regards to sealing (varnishing) and protecting jewelry, I tend to think of what is needed to protect the jewelry from wear and tear.

Depending on the kind of coils you use in your quilling will make a big difference in the kind of finish you apply so that your coils retain their shape.

If you used coils made using a quilling needle, you will need to be very careful to use something that will not cause your coils to release and ruin your project. In this case I use a spray product put out by KRYLON called UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating. By applying several very lightly applied coats, you are not adding a whole lot of moisture at once to your coils. As each coat dries (and acrylic dries very quickly), it adds strength and somewhat of a sheen to your project. By the way, you need to make sure that all of your project is sprayed and sealed in order to protect the jewelry from soil, humidity while being worn. I especially like this spray because of its built-in UV Resistance to help keep your colors true.

If you have used the technique of husking or alternate looping, you have the choice of using the spray above or there is another product that I like to use, especially on projects that will be handled a great deal, and that is Delta Ceramcoat Varnish. It comes in a Gloss or Satin finish and is applied with brush. This product in the gloss formula adds a very high shine to your project but also adds a very durable tough finish giving it strength since it is made of polyurethane. It is recommended, however, that you give your project a once over light coat of the Krylon spray above to seal the paper colors, before applying the the Delta Ceramcoat Varnish because it can cause some of the darker colors to run slightly. This usually happens though, when too much of the varnish has been applied all at once and allowed to run (the consistency of this varnish is very thin). This varnish dries to the touch in 10 minutes, but I would recommend that you let it dry overnight to allow it to reach the optimum tough finish you want your project to have. The feel of your piece is strong and very smooth.

Another product that I have experimented with is: Modge Podge (which is also applied with brush but is thicker in substance than the Delta Ceramcoat Varnish), but it can leave brush strokes if not applied smoothly. It seals well and protects from moisture or humidity, dries to a glossy finish, but your piece will remain flexible and could tear. It gives your piece a "plastic" feel which I don't really care for.

Some people don't care for the varnish look (the shine, etc.) and this is all a personal thing. I like to know that my 3D pieces which are going to be handled are protected and will retain their beauty long after they are made. I like the look of natural quilling, too, but when I consider the time it took for me to create the piece, I want to know that it will last.

I hope this hasn't overwhelmed you with too much information, but has answered the question you had!

What you want to do is apply a protective sealant...not varnish.

You need to find a product that is a clear liquid, dries quickly and can be applied to your jewelry using a small brush. Something similar to clear nail polish/enamel.

Not knowing what country you live in (really should add that on your profile), I don't know what is easily available for you to find. In the U.S. these products are available in craft/hobby and art supply stores.

Gail

Quote Originally Posted by caribdeep
    I thought i did put in a new post this morning but anyways i'l try it again. My question was about varnishing. I would like to varnish some of my quilled jewelry but haven't the slightest idea as to what varnish is used. Do they have anything specific only for paper or quilled items and are there any other substitues? The only varnish i know of is the one used for furniture. I would be so happy if i get to know what it is. Thanks so much. By the way just want to say how happy i am for stumbling over this site. I have learned so mcuh since then and i feel at home here

OMG!! Thanks so much for taking your time and replying me Kate and Gail. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now that you have made it so much easier for me I can save myself from getting too anxious. I did a little bit of research but never got an answer so precise and indepth.

Yes, i do all my quilling by the tool, i have not tried husking thus far as am taking it step by step but looking forward to do it. I do like the look of natural paper as apposed to the glossy one any day as it brings out the natural beauty, its simplicity and its texture (its just something about paper itself). But like you said, you want your hard work to last especially considering quilled jewelry thats worn outside is the only reason i would like to try out varnishing. Again, its only an experiment for me, lets see if i like the look.

Just one more question- is there anything like the matt finish varnish,spray, etc. I read on some blog but all they said was a matt finish varnish.

I am definitely going to be on the hunt for these products hoping to find them. Presently, i am on the island of St. Kitts, caribbeans where its hard to find stuff. If i don't find them i will just wait till i get back to the US. I was totaly ignorant of these products but am glad to know of them now.

I really like how you have explained to me in detail Kate and Gail thanks again for your help.

Deepa

Deepa:

I have quilled drop earrings that a friend sent me that I wear often and it has nothing on them. They still look as good as when I got them about a year ago. Earrings don't usually get a lot of abuse if the wearer is careful.

Another sealant fixative some quillers use is Stiffen Stuff Super Quick Stiffening Spray (8oz.). The clear drying formula is easy to apply and is quick drying. No soaking. Dries quickly by air drying or dry in 5 minutes using a blow dryer. Leaves no flaking, cracking or discoloration. Spray the product in several light layers.

Gail

Quote Originally Posted by caribdeep
    OMG!! Thanks so much for taking your time and replying me Kate and Gail. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now that you have made it so much easier for me I can save myself from getting too anxious. I did a little bit of research but never got an answer so precise and indepth.

Yes, i do all my quilling by the tool, i have not tried husking thus far as am taking it step by step but looking forward to do it. I do like the look of natural paper as apposed to the glossy one any day as it brings out the natural beauty, its simplicity and its texture (its just something about paper itself). But like you said, you want your hard work to last especially considering quilled jewelry thats worn outside is the only reason i would like to try out varnishing. Again, its only an experiment for me, lets see if i like the look.

Just one more question- is there anything like the matt finish varnish,spray, etc. I read on some blog but all they said was a matt finish varnish.

I am definitely going to be on the hunt for these products hoping to find them. Presently, i am on the island of St. Kitts, caribbeans where its hard to find stuff. If i don't find them i will just wait till i get back to the US. I was totaly ignorant of these products but am glad to know of them now.

I really like how you have explained to me in detail Kate and Gail thanks again for your help.

Deepa

Thanks a lot for the info Gail. Will check out this one too. love ya guys!

When I have made jewellery I have used colourless nail polish. I have heard that in the US there is the probability that the ingredients in nail polish are different from those in the UK and that the varnish made become discoloured. I use the cheapest polish I can buy (1 a bottle from the local market as opposed to over 5 in the chemist shops) and some of my jewellery has been varnished for over 10 years and has not discoloured, so I have had no problems with this method. I put the quilled item onto a piece of kitchen foil to stop it sticking to the work surface when varnishing. I find this also strengthens the paper as well and makes it more durable. I have warned anyone that has my jewellery not to wear it in the shower as it is paper (some people need reminding of such things) but it should be perfectly fine in a bit of rain as it's unlikely to get sodden. The quilling will also take on a shiny look to it. The brush that comes with the varnish is also a handy size to get in between all the coils.

For other pieces I use an acryllic spray varnish by humbrol. It works really well and I use it on models and pictures to make them more dust resistant and to stop the colours fading so quickly. I buy this from a local craft shop and it is suitable for paper and wood. This doesn't make it shiny, just seems to brighten the colours of the paper.

Everyone has their own personal favourites and it took me a while to find the spary varnish.

With any new varnish always try on a piece of paper and card first to check that it gives the look you want and doesn't make the paper disintegrate or curl.
    ~You must be the change you want to see in the world. ~
    ~Ghandi~

Deepa:

I agree with Gecko that you should try the clear nail polish to protect the earrings. It certainly won't hurt them.

The other stronger products are good for items such as brooches, pendants, or paper beads. It's also good on snowflakes or other ornaments.

Gail
    Last edited by freedgailf; 01-25-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Deepa,

The Krylon spray product I suggested does not give the high gloss finish that the Delta Ceramcoat does. It brightens the colors and seals the paper to protect it from moisture. It may stiffen the papers somewhat, but is not the strong protective coat that the Delta Ceramcoat (brush-applied) does. The Delta Ceramcoat calls itself a "varnish" but it is a polyurethane product, not a lacquer product. A little goes a long, long way and it provides a very tough coat. The satin (matte) finish is very nice and does not provide the high shine of the gloss finish.

[QUOTE=caribdeep]Just one more question- is there anything like the matt finish varnish,spray, etc. I read on some blog but all they said was a matt finish varnish.

yea! i tried applying natural color nail enamel to my quilled pieces and that worked pretty good. At least it did not give it that thick heavy look. Nice that i had it handy and so tried it. For the other products i think am going to get them from the US. Glad that now i am so well informed with all the types and brands. Thanks to you all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast