Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Quilling Circle Template Board

is this a must have or can you get away without having it?
    thx

I did'nt have it for a while but it is a very good quillng help that makes your quilling perfect every time

Tahlia
    Follow your dreams

Tahlia's QC (quilling connection)

Quote Originally Posted by iamsherbear
    thx
    You can get away without having it. I started like a lot of people with a piece of cardboard covered with plastic. I didn't buy a circle template board until about 2 years ago when I started teaching at a local store and wanted to have the same tools that my students were using from the beginner's kit. Of course I use it so often now I don't know why it took me so long to buy one.

I dont have one of these. I think after practice you can get the circles to be close in size with out the template. I think it is a preference thing. I twirl, glue, squish to the shape I want and glue together all in one step which is why I dont think I woudl want to set it down in the template to measure it. Again just my preference.

Instead of a cork board I cut a peice of cardboard and compeletely covered it with packing tape so that when I put stuff on it the glue doesn't stick to the tape and I can use pins in it easily as well.
    Sheri
    FantastiQuill

CyGal Guest

I saved a little money by going to Office Depot and buying one that a carpenter or architect might use. It's an unattractive green color, but has lots of different sizes and I find it very helpful when I'm trying to create a design that requires many of the same size coils. I couldn't do without this past month or so, making all of my Christmas cards. I think it is worth investing in something, whether it be the one on this site or something you find elsewhere.

As a beginner it would probably benefit you to have one. Using one will make it easier for you to make same size coils until that time comes when you can make the same without using the template, and that takes a lot of practice to perfect you coiling tension.

You may also come across some quilling patterns that will specify which hole to place a coil in so that it will expand to a particular size, as is the case with some large coils.

It's also very useful when making eccentric or off centered coils.

Gail

Quote Originally Posted by iamsherbear
    thx
    Last edited by freedgailf; 12-28-2006 at 12:53 AM.

7. Default

Personally, I find that you really don't need one. I do have a circle template board, but don't use it at all. It took me more time to get the coil into the circle, let it expand, and take it out and glue it then it did to just coil without the circles. It was faster for me to not use one, and I have practiced enough to make my circles pretty uniform.

But it is up to you. If you think it would be a benefit to you, go for it. Happy quilling!

You can get a basic one for about $5, so why not have one.

Gail

Quote Originally Posted by paperplanes
    Personally, I find that you really don't need one. I do have a circle template board, but don't use it at all. It took me more time to get the coil into the circle, let it expand, and take it out and glue it then it did to just coil without the circles. It was faster for me to not use one, and I have practiced enough to make my circles pretty uniform.

But it is up to you. If you think it would be a benefit to you, go for it. Happy quilling!

I have one but use it rarely. Only when I'm doing a design where I absolutely must have my circles (and only with circles) the same size do I use it.
    ~You must be the change you want to see in the world. ~
    ~Ghandi~

The circle quilling board is helpful, I find I use it about 50/50,
    It's great for eccentric circle's, I just stick them in the hole with a pin and let them sit til I need them. It's good for doing uniform circles, but now I find I'm okay getting my coils pretty even with out the board. It depends on what kind of project I'm working on how much I use the board.

IMO - it's not an absolute necessity, but handy to have, it's like a fringer, not absolutely necessary, but definately makes life a little easier..

Cygal.. what a great idea - *thumbs up on money saving idea"
    "When your young you may fall off a horse and break something, at my age,
    I splatter"
    Roy Rogers