Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default **Storage For Quilling Paper**

Since I am very new to quilling, I am wondering how everyone stores their quilling paper. I don't have any special storage and don't know what will be the best.

Default Storage

Quote Originally Posted by JudyK
    Since I am very new to quilling, I am wondering how everyone stores their quilling paper. I don't have any special storage and don't know what will be the best.
    Hi Judy and welcome to quilling! A very addictive hobby indeed.

There have been some previous discussions about storing quilling paper so you might want to search past posts.There are some interesting suggestions.

For me, i started off keeping my paper in the clear poly bag that it comes in and storing them in an empty small icecream tub. I then got more colours... so i put it in a small shoe box. More colours and more widths .....so i put them into a large fancy box that someone gave me. Now i have so many colours and shaded packs and 2mm, 3mm, 5mm, 5mm, 10mm etc that i have sorted them into different widths and organised them in two CAT LITTER TRAYS (unused i may add!). I keep each colour in its original clear bag and i write the colour and width of paper on the sticky label because some of the colours are difficult to tell apart. I can flick through the selection easily. I also sort them out by colours and keep all my shaded/graduated etc together.

While we are on the subject of storing things - i have lots of clear plastic containers that screw together and i use these to store fringed flowers, ready made flowers etc. Again i try to sort into colour or type.My collection keeps growing and growing and the containers are now stacking so high i call it my "flower tower".

Angie

Default Storage

Hello I also keep mine in the original bags they come in I cut the bottom edge off and turn the paper around so the 2 ends are at the opening and then that way when I need some papers I dont have to take them out and have them tangled. I just take a few off one edge and pull them out and then rip the other edge off. Hope that makes sense. I also keep them all in a photo storage box (the fancy kinds that they sell all over the place now). The 18" papers fit in those boxes but the ones that are 24 " I had to make a new box out of a old cardboard box and covered it with mactac so it looks pretty too. I also sort by color and width and put them so the color name on the label is at the top so I can flip through them that way.
    Sheri
    FantastiQuill

Investing in a good quilling book will answer a lot of questions. They're full of tips on various methods on storage, designing your own patterns, to preservation of quilling.

Aside from keeping strips out of the sun so they don't fade, everyone has their own method, from keeping them hung in their bags to laying them in boxes, depends on how much paper they have. The easiest method is to store them in boxes separated by strip width.

If you buy the precut strips keep them inside the bags they come in along with the bag header tag so you have that when you need to re-order that color and width.

If you cut your own strips, store them in zip lock bags or you can purchase the long narrow cello bags to store them in. I order my bags from www.customquillingbydenise.com.

Gail

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I am going to work on how I am going to store this stuff so my paper is visible and not tangled. Yes, I am addicted. I keep getting more paper and more stuff! So much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by freedgailf
    Investing in a good quilling book will answer a lot of questions. They're full of tips on various methods on storage, designing your own patterns, to preservation of quilling.
    Gail
    Thanks Gail....I have several great books now and they do have good tips and ideas in them. I just thought someone here might have a link to buying storage items or ideas on how to store. I always like others ideas that have been doing the hobby for awhile.

Thanks Gail....I have several great books now and they do have good tips and ideas in them. I just thought someone here might have a link to buying storage items or ideas on how to store. I always like others ideas that have been doing the hobby for awhile.
    Judy:

I'm so glad you have some good quilling books.
    I have so many individual strip packs that I can open my own store. I store all mine by width in empty keyboard boxes that I confiscated from work when they swaped out all our computers and each box is labeled by width and type, such as varigated, pearl, sparkling, two-tone, gilt edge, etc.

The most common method is the clear storage containers/bins you find at Wal Mart or the Dollar Tree store (little larger than a shoebox) and label those on the outside with the contents. Just go with whatever works for you and what you have room for.

Gail

Gail...
    Another problem I have is that I am going back to Florida for the winter in 2 weeks. Soooo....I don't have as much space there for my crafting (I am a stamper too) and I have to ship all of my stuff (we fly down). I am really trying not to accumulate a lot of paper like I have with my stamping. (Now how in the world do you do that!) I ordered some of the bags that you posted the link to. I think they will also be handy to put ribbon in.

Gail...
    Another problem I have is that I am going back to Florida for the winter in 2 weeks. Soooo....I don't have as much space there for my crafting (I am a stamper too) and I have to ship all of my stuff (we fly down). I am really trying not to accumulate a lot of paper like I have with my stamping. (Now how in the world do you do that!) I ordered some of the bags that you posted the link to. I think they will also be handy to put ribbon in.
    Judy:

Boy, you do have a problem, but it may not be as bad as you think. If I were in your predicament and depending on how long you'll be in Florida, I would have to give my stamps first priority -- there is no way you can only take a few.

As for the paper strips, those are easy. You can probably get by with a couple of the color variety packs so you have some of all the colors, unless there is one color you use a lot of, then toss in an extra pack of that. I also have all the variety packs, just so I don't have to haul around all my individual ones when I go on vacation.

I just stick them all along the sides of my suitcase, it's very hard to crush and doesn't take up any room at all. If any of it does get crushed or bent, don't worry they're easy to straighten out by running your fingernail down the length of the strip, or use a dull knife edge to straighten a strip.

As for the bags you ordered, mine came rolled up so I had to flatten them out under a couple of heavy phone books for about a day. Yes, they would be great to store ribbon in.

Gail

I keep my quilling paper in a folder inside plastic pockets.
    i have differen pockets for different shades of colours

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast