PDA

View Full Version : Looking for frames

quilling in the cold
02-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Hello to everyone, and thanks to Quilled Creations for getting me hooked on such a wonderful art. Quilling sure helps to pass the time when it's -50C!

I need some help in locating frames for my quilled pieces. Does anyone have a supplier in Canada? The only place i have found them is at our local Craft Wholesale supply ( and they are hideous!) and Lewiscraft but they have a very limited supply. Thank you.

slgeorge5
02-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Hello to everyone, and thanks to Quilled Creations for getting me hooked on such a wonderful art. Quilling sure helps to pass the time when it's -50C!

I need some help in locating frames for my quilled pieces. Does anyone have a supplier in Canada? The only place i have found them is at our local Craft Wholesale supply ( and they are hideous!) and Lewiscraft but they have a very limited supply. Thank you.

I get mine at the local Hobby Lobby. They are unfinished so I can paint them how I need them. You can order online and I am sure they ship to Canada. sorry I am not more help. Here is the link.
http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowCategory.aspx?d=50&c=88&s=20

Steph

quilling in the cold
02-18-2005, 10:43 AM
I get mine at the local Hobby Lobby. They are unfinished so I can paint them how I need them. You can order online and I am sure they ship to Canada. sorry I am not more help. Here is the link.
http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowCategory.aspx?d=50&c=88&s=20

Steph

thanks very much Steph, these are great prices.

Yamadi
02-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Hello.
Depending on where you are, check into Michaels. Hope this helps. (I live in Edmonton, Alberta)

I've not really seen any frames in Lewis Craft. (but then, I've not been looking for them in Lewis Craft.)

Also, every so often, you can bump into some shadow box frames (and an assortment of other kinds of frames) at second hand stores life Good Will and at garage sales.

gostlady
02-20-2005, 03:24 AM
Look under
http://lindaevett@leavingprints.com
We have some frames and slide mounts

granite
02-20-2005, 09:22 AM
I've become leary of ordering frames from online stores. Maybe I am just picky, however I ordered 6 frames from an online craft store (I'll leave it unnamed, so far it has not been mentioned in this thread however) and all 6 were unacceptable to me. 2 of them the backing did not fit the frame, so if you placed it on a wall it would all fall out. All 6 had terrible finish flaws: chips, slurred splotchy paint that looked like kindergardener's black tempra paint, and 2 of the frames had cracks in the wood of the frame. :mad:

Very disappointing! :(
I go to the stores and look, look, look. So far I have bought shadowbox frames from Target and Ben Franklin Crafts. Keep in mind however, that of 20 or so frames on the shelf I only found 2 or 3 acceptable to me. I want the corners a tight matching, clean 45 degrees, I want the finish to be smooth and appealing, the back to fit snugly, etc. I don't want "seconds" and unfortunately too many times that is what is on the shelf by the time hundreds of customers and thumbed through them. :eek:

quilling in the cold
02-20-2005, 08:28 PM
I've become leary of ordering frames from online stores. Maybe I am just picky, however I ordered 6 frames from an online craft store (I'll leave it unnamed, so far it has not been mentioned in this thread however) and all 6 were unacceptable to me. 2 of them the backing did not fit the frame, so if you placed it on a wall it would all fall out. All 6 had terrible finish flaws: chips, slurred splotchy paint that looked like kindergardener's black tempra paint, and 2 of the frames had cracks in the wood of the frame. :mad:

Very disappointing! :(
I go to the stores and look, look, look. So far I have bought shadowbox frames from Target and Ben Franklin Crafts. Keep in mind however, that of 20 or so frames on the shelf I only found 2 or 3 acceptable to me. I want the corners a tight matching, clean 45 degrees, I want the finish to be smooth and appealing, the back to fit snugly, etc. I don't want "seconds" and unfortunately too many times that is what is on the shelf by the time hundreds of customers and thumbed through them. :eek:

After all the hard work of making a great quilled piece i hate to put it in a bad frame. I've even tried talking my husband in to making them for me! HThank you all for your help.

Quillbee
02-21-2005, 04:42 PM
I agree with Granite about the cheap frames out there. It is really difficult to find nice frames, at a good price, that actually will work with quilled pieces.
One thing I found while looking for frames (I do a lot of quilled mat boards) if you gently push on the glass and it gives some, chances are it will have a little extra room to include the depth of the mat board and the depth of the quilling.
Try Zellers. I know I got some from there (table top ones though) that the backing slid out of the back from the bottom.
They had a little extra room and worked great.
Don't bother looking at the dollar stores cause none of the ones I looked at were deep enough.