PDA

View Full Version : February 2010 Contest

Dave
02-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi Everyone,
For this months contest, I want to hear from all those quilling teachers out there. Even if you haven't taught quilling before, we want to hear from you too. Here is the question:

How often do you teach quilling classes? Tell us about a little about it... What you teach? Where? How many students? etc...

If you have never taught before, all you have to do is reply back and say I have never taught. We will randomly select one person who responds and they will win one of our Flowers and Friends Class Packs or Sweat Treats Class Packs (Retail Value $42).

We look forward to hearing from everyone!

Happy Quilling!
Dave
Quilled Creations
http://www.quilledcreations.com

Kir
02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I am going to teach my first quilling class this May. I can use every helpful hint you have.
I do intend to recommend this site as one of the best internet resources because everyone here is so nice and ready to help.
I hope you don't mind, but I am going to use some of the pictures in the gallery so people can see all the wonderful things they can quill.

Jan
02-15-2010, 09:25 AM
I've never actually taught, but I have "informed" a time or two. :)

osavvy101
02-15-2010, 09:38 PM
I haven't taught a "class" per se but I've taught quilling to various groups of people. In high school I was the president of National Art Honor Society so I hosted a quilling event where I taught other students how to quill in order to make greeting cards that we sold as a fundraiser. My sister, being the less crafty of the two, on occasion asks me to teach her friends when they get together as an activity. Now in college, my friend has caught the quilling fever and it has spread to other girls around us. We now have a routine quilling party Fridays after class.

As a side note, my now boyfriend used the excuse that he wanted to learn to quill when he first met me as a reason to get together. And I made sure he learned! :)

Haze
02-17-2010, 04:46 AM
I have never taught (other than myself) does that count!?! I would love to pass on my knowledge to others - I will work on it. Warm regards, Hazel

Ratgirl
02-17-2010, 06:35 AM
from Ali's first book. Then I taught my niece and now I am teaching my best friend's daughter. :)

Ladylynne
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm brand new to quilling so have never taught a class on it....BUT, have a background in corporate America as a trainer/facilitator in the financial services industry.

janice
02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
I do not teach. Plus there is no one in my area that teaches so I teach myself.....Oh! I DO teach.;)

Janice

Dorothea
02-17-2010, 08:58 PM
I used to teach at a local scrapbook store. I also hold classes at my home.I will teach anyone who shows an interest. I love it so much, I want everyone to enjoy it as much as I do.:)

Cheryl
02-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Never taught a class, only my niece.

suemaureen
02-18-2010, 05:00 PM
I am planning to start a craft club with some family and friends and I am excited to introduce them to the lovely art of paper quilling! We are hoping to meet regularly while our children play together. The kits and designs on this site are so beautiful and inspiring! We will be sure to incorporate them into our craft club!

Looroll
02-19-2010, 09:51 AM
I taught my first class when I was 16 - a group of Girl Guides in Bath, UK, and it went surprisingly well! Since then I've only really done small group things, that was my biggest session!:)

musicteacher40
02-19-2010, 02:59 PM
I am a 6-12 music teacher in Southeast Kansas. The school district I teach in has different Enrichment Clubs after school for the middle school aged students. I have taught classes on Scrapbooking and different techniques. I spent a 9-week period (meeting 1 time per week) on "Paper Curling/Quilling." I taught them how to begin...the tools that were needed...showed them how to make their own slotted tool (and in the end they were able to take the one we made in class home)...we made cards from the animals, the flowers, the abstract, creations....I showed them the different ways to fold/bend the curls to create. The smallest class that I had during this 9-week time period was 8 and the largest was 32...(they wiped me out of my quilling papers...:) )

I have also taught my daughter and the Music Fraternity for Women (Sigma Alpha Iota) that she belongs (I also as an Alumni member) how to Quill in a nightly meeting. They then have made cards and sold them as a fund raiser for the Fraternity.

I'm not sure if this really qualifies as teaching...but this is the closest that I will come to teaching in person.

I've also taught several people through the internet on how to quill as well.

sipot
02-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I have never taught but have bought mini kits at dollarama that included paper and a plastic slotted tool so I am prepared to teach...someday

freedgailf
02-24-2010, 01:28 AM
I've been able to get a few co-workers interested in quilling when they saw some of my work.

The first one I showed how to quill, I didn't have any of my quilling with me, so I cut some copy paper into strips and unbent the end of a small paper clip to use as a tool (I've not yet mastered finger rolling) and I believe it was one of the best marquise shapes I ever made, LOL.

Gail

trilady
02-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Despite being a beginner to quilling (started in October 2009) I was asked to do an after school program for our local library. It was held on February 23rd. I ended up having 24 kids that attended! I showed them the basics, let them practice pinching coils (precoiled and glued), gave some instructions for a few simple projects (hearts, ballons, football, truck and flower) and let them loose. The older kids caught on pretty quickly and helped the younger kids sitting near them (we had K-7th ages). If there is a next time I would probably limit the class size so that I could give them more help and attention. I had purchased some inexpensive kits that came with a plastic slotted tool and some paper. I also made some tools out of 1/2 inch dowel, cotter pins and epoxy. I ended up giving away the homemade tools and most of the paper to kids that really wanted to continue at home. It was a really fun experience and I hope to get a chance to teach again.

Dave
03-09-2010, 11:36 AM
We have a winner! We randomly selected one person from all those that responded.

The winner is Dorothea! :)

Congratualtions! Just send me a PM with your address and we will send you a either a Flowers & Friends Class Pack or a Sweat Treats Class Pack.

Happy Quilling!
Dave
http://www.quilledcreations.com