PDA

View Full Version : spring tulip

gemstatemom
01-26-2005, 02:49 PM
This was supposed to be a tag - but my creative Muse had other plans.
It is my first border and despite the need for uniformity in coil size, I enjoyed it...though it is a lot of work!

4" x 5" with multiple layers. The tulip and inner border are inset approx. 1/8" below the top layer, and covered with clear cellophane to make a sort of 'window'. Though it looks like a card, it isn't. I plan to mount it on white mat board and frame it.

Comments and critique are always appreciated!
[Img]

Teresa Patcheson
01-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Paula, I like the entirely soft and lacy feel to this piece. The contrast in textures adds a lot of interest. I like the background paper, and the inner fringing of white material. Its lovely how effective simply white quilled elements can be.

Teresa :)

Quillbee
01-26-2005, 07:53 PM
That is LOVELY !! You really do have to appreciate the work involved.
I like the background papers too - Did you use a "mulberry" type natural paper ? It really is a nice contrast to the white.

I like to have some variation in the size of the coils - it's like making a quilt.
Quilters normally include some intentional (or unintentional) mistake in a quilt - it gives you the incentive to create the next perfect quilt (or quill !!) ;)

gemstatemom
01-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks Teresa and Quillbee,

About the papers. The lightest green paper (just the smalled edge shows) is a pale green marbled cardstock. The light mossy green textured paper is a specialty art paper I picked up in Minneapolis. It was sold in huge 24" x 36" sheets and has a very wrinkled texture ...about twice as thick as tissue paper. There is feathered mulberry paper under the pink oval cutout, and the tulip was placed on a vellum oval on top of a darker pink, slightly patterned lightweight cardstock that I purchased at Wal-mart.

Hope that answers your questions adequately!

barbiej
01-30-2005, 06:17 AM
Gemstatemom,
This is beautiful. It almost feels like spring is in the air. I need all the reminders I can get as I sit here looking out at 2 feet of snow! :) The border is a great idea. I often wonder what to do with a single quilled item I have done that I like, now I have the answer. Thanks!
Barbie

slgeorge5
02-07-2005, 08:34 PM
This was supposed to be a tag - but my creative Muse had other plans.
It is my first border and despite the need for uniformity in coil size, I enjoyed it...though it is a lot of work!

4" x 5" with multiple layers. The tulip and inner border are inset approx. 1/8" below the top layer, and covered with clear cellophane to make a sort of 'window'. Though it looks like a card, it isn't. I plan to mount it on white mat board and frame it.

Comments and critique are always appreciated!
[Img]
Beautiful Card!

Lorrine
02-21-2005, 01:05 AM
This is an absolutely beautiful piece. I hope I get half as good as this. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. I am fairly new at quilling, but truly enjoy it and it has not been hard to pick up at all. I use most of mine in my scrapbooking pieces. Again thanks and you certainly do beautiful work. :)

Lorrine
02-21-2005, 01:08 AM
I almost forgot, how did you get your pearls to stick? Are they half pearls. I tried this on a greeting card and could not get them to hold with the quilling glue. Thanks for your reply. ;)

gemstatemom
02-21-2005, 08:15 PM
I almost forgot, how did you get your pearls to stick? Are they half pearls. I tried this on a greeting card and could not get them to hold with the quilling glue. Thanks for your reply. ;)

Lorrine,
Thank you for your many kind words on the tulip picture.
I used the regular spherical pearls. On this project they hold great, because they are glued to the card and to the quilling coils, creating a strong bond. When I use pearls on a card as an accent, I often scratch the surface under the glue with my needle quilling tool, to create a rougher surface. It seems to great a better bond.

HTH.