PDA

View Full Version : New to group

jackiep1962
01-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi My name is Jackie, I live in the Leicester in England. I am very new to quilling, and have bought some bits made by Quilled Creations from Ebay and was lucky to look in on your site.

I am a complete novice so any help and tips will be most appreciated, I look forward to chatting with you all.

Kind regards

Jackie :)

Teresa Patcheson
01-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi Jackie

Glad to meet you. I find quilling addicting, relaxing and versatile. I have fun thinking of new applications for this craft.

I have lived in the U.K. - Wales, to be exact. Spent 7 years there when I was in my twenties. Mu mum comes from Nottinghamshire.

I enjoy the tips here in this forum. You can use the Search utility on the toolbar to look up topics in the posts.

Happy quilling,

Teresa ;)

jackiep1962
01-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Hi Teresa,

I have have always lived in Leicester which is about 20 miles from Nottingham.

Are you still living in Wales? A beautiful place so scenic.

I have been looking at some of the quilling on here and it is so stunning. What a clever lot you are. I am just on the making coils stage, I have bought a quilling board from this site, and it is proving invaluble. I also got somw of the tweezers and thay are proving wonderful too, besides having a quilling tool, got several of those and some scissors what else do I need to buy? I think with most crafts you can go on and on and is it okay to use a shredder for your papers or is it better to just buy the ready made ones that are for use in quilling, I have got both but I was wondering which method is better.

Sorry Teresa so many questions, lol :)

Take care for now.

Love Jackie

granite
01-09-2005, 10:49 PM
All you really need for quilling is glue (I recommend Elmer's glue-all in the smallest bottle), a hatpin or quilling tool, and paper. Its fine to cut your own or buy precision cut. I found it much easier to produce a fine product with precision cut papers though.

Additional tools I like to use:
small plastic clips for holding together strips or joining pieces
workboard (cardboard with wax paper, quilling board, etc)
edging scissors to decorate the ends of large petals for a different look
punches with flower and leaf shapes
small beads or rhinestones for added touches
digital camera to record results and keep a journal of projects
plastic boxes for storing tools, papers, and finished works
film cannisters for storing coils

jackiep1962
01-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Granite,

Thanks for the reply, I have already got lots of those different things so it is helpful. I have got a digital camera, so will be able to show you my disasters, lol.

One thing, how do I make stems for flowers, this is what I am most stuck with. I don't know if you have to cut them down or how to do them.

I am hoping to get better at it, but think it is going to take some time.

Thanks for the help.

Jackie

granite
01-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Flower stems are a different action depending on if you are making a 3D floral display (in other words, making flowers to go in a vase) versus making a floral design on a flat surface to decorate an ornament or mat. When I'm making paper flowers to go in a vase, I use pipe cleaners for large flowers and florist wire for small flowers.

For a flat surface decorative work (the majority of what I do), the stem can be attached to the mat, and the flower glued to the mat so that the petals overlap the edge a bit. If you look at the "cut the cake" mat in a mahogany frame that I posted in the gallery, that's a good example of the stem/vine being a completely separate piece from the flower. The flower is adjacent to the stem, not actually attached to it. Browse through the gallery here: http://www.quilledcreations.com//quillinggallery/index.php
or check out the gallery at the North American quillers association here: http://www.naqg.org
and look at several different quiller's approach to stems and vines. There are many good ways to do this! Who knows, you may come up with a completely new solution to share.

jackiep1962
01-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Oh wow, what lovely work if I get as good as that then I will be so pleased.
It is amazing what a piece of paper can achieve, I do have some punches especially the Fiskars ones, and others.

I have been having a go with a card this afternoon, and made this flower on parchement, another hobby of mine. I am going to try to attempt to attched it to this email.

Please excuse the mess on my desk thats normal for me, lol

Think I shall be joining the Quillers guild eventually.

Thanks so much for your help.

granite
01-10-2005, 11:21 PM
There ya go, have fun!
That's a nice looking card!

;)

Bevsgear
01-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi Jackie,

I also find flower stems a little difficult. Often I have used the finest paper I can find - 1.5mm - and use it on its side. To glue it I hold it with the tweezers and then carefully run the edge of the paper through some glue. I find that having a small amount of glue on a flat lid of a takeaway food container is very helpful as it allows you room to move the paper through the glue and also if the glue should dry out you don't lose much. Trust this is helpful

Bev

jackiep1962
01-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi Bev,

Thank you so much, have just tried it, and it work well, I have just a strip in half so can use it for more stems.

Thanks so much for the help.

Jackie

jackiep1962
01-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks Granite,

Love fiddly things, just as well really, those tweezers are really good, and so helpful.

Might have to go shopping soon on this site for more goodies, lol.

Bevsgear
01-24-2005, 06:12 AM
Glad I could be of help

Bev

IreneH
02-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Hi, my name is Irene.

I'm originally from Singapore but reside in Australia, at Hamlyn Terrace on the Central Coast, just 1 & 1/2 hours drive north of Sydney.

I have been quilling for a few years, off and on...I have only just picked it up full time and have sold some of my work, mainly greeting cards and gift tags!

I enjoy it very much! Its very relaxing and theraputic! Although the folded roses sometimes make me curse and swear like a redneck!! :D

It is nice to meet other quillers from around the world! And the website is pretty too!

slgeorge5
02-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Oh wow, what lovely work if I get as good as that then I will be so pleased.
It is amazing what a piece of paper can achieve, I do have some punches especially the Fiskars ones, and others.

I have been having a go with a card this afternoon, and made this flower on parchement, another hobby of mine. I am going to try to attempt to attched it to this email.

Please excuse the mess on my desk thats normal for me, lol

Think I shall be joining the Quillers guild eventually.

Thanks so much for your help.

Your card is nice. I am new to the forum but been quilling for about a year this time. Parchment is something I have not gotten into yet. Have some just afraid to start cutting. I do add teabag folding and decoupage to my quilled cards. Have fun. You are well on your way to the Quillers quild!

Stephanie