PDA

View Full Version : Trying Granite's roses

Teresa Patcheson
01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Granite kindly included a photo showing how she made her roses (see her reply in thread "Question on Posting Image").

I tried them out and got sort of carried away (normal for me). So here's my first attempt at posting an image - hope it works. The roses are presented in the compartments of one of those plastic craft boxes - great for storing quilled items.

My roses still aren't as neat as Granite's, but practice will help. I modified the technique a bit to suit me more. Instead of 3/8 by 5/8" petals, I used 3/8 x 3/8" and pasted them onto a punched snowflake in green paper (to serve as sepals). I found this made a less bulky rose. I also started to colour in the paper strip with watercolour pencils before cutting them into separate petals. I then moistened it with a brush to soften and enrich the colouring.

These are really fun! I'm tempted to delve into a rose plant catalogue and see what varieties I can use for colouring inspiration. By the way, the tiny red things in the upper left compartment are standard folded roses made with 1/8" strip. The large, very pink rose in this compartment was made using 8 separate punched hearts for petals.

Now... just have to create a project to apply these too.

Teresa

granite
01-05-2005, 09:41 PM
wow, those really look great!
Dave had to remove the picture showing the stages of curling these roses, as I did a no-no and posted a copyrighted picture.

I'm going to get my hubby to take the same series of photos with me making the petals - hopefully soon. He is very busy playing with a new digital recorder at the moment however!

Heather
01-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Well done! I started making those roses too after seeing the post on how to do it. I really like your idea of the water colour pencils and think that this will have to be my next purchase!

Quillbee
01-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Those are lovely !! I like the watercoloured effect too.