PDA

View Full Version : Metallic gold strips

dollyquiller
11-26-2004, 05:19 AM
Hi
Does any one know where I can buy metallic gold quilling strips 8-10mm wide (3/10 - 4/10 inch) with gold on both sripes of the strip. I've managed to find some with gold one side & white the other, and some that is a none metallic dull gold. It is for a special retirement card.
Thanks in advance

Heather
11-26-2004, 08:22 AM
I haven't seen any like that in the stores but Ontario hasn't got nearly the selection that you can find online or in the stores. It is hard to find quilling paper at all where I live. I often shred or cut my own strips and there is a paper that we call Shimmer paper that my scrapbooking store used to have that would work. They are all out of it now and hoping to get more in. You might try some scrapbooking stores to see if you can find what you want and then cut the strips yourself.

Quillbee
11-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Something that I have done to silver/gold gild some quilling is to use a pigment ink pad (I have the "Paintbox" pigment inks in the metallic colours - Michaels sells them - they have individual "finger" sized ink pads that snap out of the holder) I can use whatever coloured paper I like, and then after it is glued on the card, I gently tap whatever metallic edge colour I need onto the quilled design. You don't want to be too rough cause you will get ink on your card.
It makes a really nice edge. You might want to try it on a scrap quilled design to practice. And make sure you let it dry for quite a while - the pigment inks are slow drying.
Good luck ! ;)

gemstatemom
11-30-2004, 03:03 AM
dollyquiller,
you might try using metallic gold spray paint to color pre-cut strips of either the dull gold, or white. Use clothespins to pin the strips to a box lid, spray. Let dry. Flip the strips over and spray the other side. make sure you catch the edges too, or they will show up white.

Michaels also sells a shimmery gold vellum, which might work for you to cut your own strips. It rolls up a bit different from paper, but is still workable. It takes glue a bit longer to stick, so be prepared to hold your coil end down for longer than usual.

Let us know what you decide to do! We all benefit from other's trials! :)

Quillbee
12-03-2004, 12:55 AM
The vellum is a good idea. I wondered how it turned out. I had thought about trying some, but haven't made it any farther than the thought !!

Silly me - I didn't read your post correctly the first time, dollyquiller. I thought you wanted the edges gold, not the paper itself. What about a light weight gold card stock ? Is there such a thing ? Most of the metallic cardstock is pretty heavy, but it might be worth looking for. ;)

Teresa Patcheson
01-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Quilbee mentiones using an ink pad. I do that too, but I apply the metallic gold or silver or copper (etc..) onto the edges of paper strips before I quill with them.

You can very quickly get gold edges by coiling many strips at once, rolling with just your fingers into a tight roll. Holding the roll firmly with tweezers, press it down onto a large stamping ink pad (in the metallic colour of your choice) so that the flat part of the roll is thoroughly coated. Let it dry and repeat with the other side if desired.

I find that inking a roll made of a bunch of strips, instead of one or two, makes the least curl to the paper.

Teresa