PDA

View Full Version : Help with floral borders and compositions

Angie Mackenzie
04-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Just wondering if anyone has advice on the best way to start when doing, for example,a floral border on a frame, or a bouquet of flowers on a card/mount etc.

Is it best to start by placing the leaves and stems then adding the flowers? Or is it best to place flowers first and fill in the gaps with leaves and stems?

Is it best to complete the design then glue to the frame as one piece, or should i build it up on the frame one piece at a time?

Next question...if i was to use a spray varnish to strengthen and protect my work, i quess that would need done to the pieces before glueing to the frame or card/mount?

Thanks in advance. I hope some of you can give me some tips.

Regards
Angie

Karin1969
04-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi Angie,

I would say it depends on the individual design. Usually I would do the flowes first, and then the leaves, because that is where my focus would be. Then you could make the size of the leaves and stems to fit in with the rest of the design and the frame.

I would do a "dry run" of placement, then spray before attaching you wouldn't want the spray to go on your frame/card mount. I would then attach after the quillings were dry.

I'd also be inclined in this case to do the whole design before attaching, rather than building up the design.

Others may do it differently.

gecko77
04-07-2006, 07:45 AM
I would probably start with the flowers as they would be the focal point of the design, unless you particularly want the leaves to be beneath the flowers - it would also depend on the way you make the leaves (cut out shapes may be more effective than quilled and can go underneath flowers easier). I would then fill gaps with leaves, though its a fine balance between flowers and leaves - I'm not very good at arranging real flowers in a vase. so I sometimes come unstuck with quilled arrangements. Hence, I have started doing something other than flowers!

Do you want small leaves or a couple of big leaves in your design for a more dramatic effect? It is something else to consider as big leaves may need arranging inbetween the flowers or before. Small leaves after.

I would probably not make the whole design in one and then place it. I would prefer to do individual flowers or maybe small sections (depending on whether you are bordering a frame or making a picture). On a frame I'd probably do it a smallish bit at a time.

As for varnishing the work I would probably do that on the shapes before sticking them down so as not to get the varnish on the frame/glass where you don't want it.

Angie Mackenzie
04-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks Karin and Gecko Girl, your advice has helped me and now i am keen to try my first frame.

If anyone else out there has any other useful tips, i'd be delighted to hear them.

Happy quilling :)
Angie