PDA

View Full Version : Faces?

Vegas1967
03-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Ever since I started quilling about a year ago every time I see a quilled project with a "quilled person" I wonder why no one puts faces on them. No matter how cute the quilled piece is, in my opinion I think they should have faces. It can just be drawn on. Anyway thats just
what I would do. :)

Angie Mackenzie
03-28-2006, 05:36 PM
How bizzare! i have just finished posting a photo of a little girl and then i read your post....and i did give her a face (not a very good one, but i tried!)
I agree, i think faces make the person more complete ;) but everyone has there own idea and some designs do actually suit being faceless.
Angie

Vegas1967
03-28-2006, 06:54 PM
How bizzare! i have just finished posting a photo of a little girl and then i read your post....and i did give her a face (not a very good one, but i tried!)
I agree, i think faces make the person more complete ;) but everyone has there own idea and some designs do actually suit being faceless.
Angie

Angie I just saw the picture of the little girl you made & I thought it was so cute. You did a great job drawing the face. :)

gecko77
03-29-2006, 03:08 AM
in my opinion I think they should have faces. It can just be drawn on. :)

I'm always worried I'll ruin my quilling by having a badly drawn face on my people that I tend not to attempt it. I'm not sure what to use to draw a face on either. I have done the odd person with a quilled face. I'll post one for you to see.

Angie Mackenzie
03-29-2006, 07:05 AM
I'm always worried I'll ruin my quilling by having a badly drawn face on my people that I tend not to attempt it. I'm not sure what to use to draw a face on either. I have done the odd person with a quilled face. I'll post one for you to see.

I just used a black gel pen to draw the face. I did this on the cone coil before i attached it to the rest of my work just in case i ruined it. Sometimes it can be difficult getting the pen to go in the correct direction with the little grooves of the cone coil.

Anyone got any other suggestions or tips about this?

Angie

Karin1969
03-29-2006, 07:24 AM
I agree it's very hard to do with the ridges that are on the shape of the face. I used a fine brush in paint when I made a clown a couple of years back, but couldn't control it. I then ended up using a combination of a fine black pen, and a toothpick with the paint. It sort of worked, but it was clumsy and I found it frustrating. :mad:

gecko77
03-30-2006, 03:11 PM
I've posted some faces I tried with different media. I found that pencil, biro or gel pens worked best and seeing as the biros and gel pens come in a variety of colours maybe you can get colour on the face that way. :) Coloured pencils didn't seem to work - the 'lead' in them doesn't seem to want to draw on it. The ink from felt pens seems to run into the curves of the coil :(

gecko77
03-31-2006, 02:47 AM
http://quilledcreations.com/quillinggallery/showphoto.php?photo=932

craftychris
04-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks for that experiment and for showing the results, will help me decide when I have to put a face on somthing! :)