PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your papers?

Rebecca
11-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Where do you find your quilling papers? On-line, either at quilling shops like Quilled Creations or Lake City Craft, or eBay? Or, does your local craft store sell them? Which stores?

The Michael's nearest to me has a practically non-existent quilling section. Only a few tubes of 1/8" paper. At my local Craftmart, they have a lot of colors to choose from, but again only in 1/8".

I haven't tried to make roses using the slotted tool, nor any fringed flowers, but I'm assuming you need wider paper than the usual 1/8".

Rebecca

Lschweitzer
11-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Try ebay, they have great deals on quilling papers and alot of assortments!

Jeanette
11-07-2004, 08:42 AM
If you happen to have an AC Moores caft store near you, they have papers and tools. They even have some kits you can do. The store near me has them in the back near the cross stitching stuff.

Hope this helps a little.. :) :)

Rebecca
11-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately, there are no AC Moore craft stores near me. I've never heard of them, in fact. Bummer; it sounds like they have a good selection.

I just like to avoid shipping charges if I can. Some of the people on eBay charge ridiculous amounts for items that are really light and shouldn't cost much to send.

Heather
11-08-2004, 12:11 AM
I have a shredder that shreds paper in 1/8 inch width strips and shred a lot of my own paper. It's really hard to find quilling paper where I live and when I do find it, they only have a few colours. Since I do a lot of quilling and my local scrapbooking store sells my quilling, I found that I was going through paper very quickly. I also like to shred Vellum and use it when I want a translucent look like quilling butterflies and balloons. I use light weight cardstock when quilling things like snowflake decorations that are getting heavier abuse on a Christmas tree. Some shredders are better than others. Some give a rougher edge.

When I teach quilling, I suggest that beginners use the shredded paper until they get good at making the different shapes and have done a few projects. I do love true quilling paper though.

Because I don't live in the States, buying things online is often very expensive by the time you factor in exchange rates and shipping and handling charges.

Heather
11-08-2004, 12:13 AM
I forgot to add that most roses are made with wider paper than 1/8 although I have made quite a few with 1/8 inch paper. It all depends on the project and size of the rose you want to end up with. Roses can be quite a challenge for beginner quillers.

Rebecca
11-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Hmmm....I'll have to look into that...purchasing a shredder for quilling. I've seen a few smaller, hand-cranked versions on eBay. I wonder if they produce a nice, clean edge. I'll ask some sellers.

I did make one small 1/8"-wide rose, and it turned out pretty decent-looking for my first try; I was surprised.

I think I'll end up buying the wider papers on-line. None of my local craft shops carry anything wider than 1/8". Sometimes I'm glad that quilling isn't more prevalent -- it makes what we make seem that much more special, but on the other hand, it's so hard to find all the supplies we need!

Rebecca

Heather
11-09-2004, 11:50 AM
The small handcranked version sold on ebay works perfectly for me. I bought mine a long time ago and use it constantly. I like the small size because it is convenient to take to scrapbooking crops.

ChandraAz
11-09-2004, 02:31 PM
the only store locally that carries quilling paper is a stamping store. I never thought to look at a stamping store, until someone recommended it!

Quillbee
11-09-2004, 09:46 PM
I have to agree that the true quilling papers are wonderful to work with, but like everyone else, I find the selection just ok. We have a wonderful paper crafts store locally, though, and they stock a pretty good supply.

I have been using a lite weight cardstock (hand cutting it, at that !!) and find that it rolls quite nice. Not so great for the smaller intricate designs though. It makes great scrolls and holds it shape well. I use a quilters see-thru ruler and cutting mat to get a 1/8th in.strip. Would love to know more about the shredder. I have investigated shredders at the office supply stores and the smallest cut I have found is 1/4 in.

FYI - I did try a little test to see what would happen to a quilled card in the mail. I mailed a simple floral card (a six petaled flower with a few decorative scrolls, done with quilling paper) to myself, and found that the flower held up ok, the scroll bits were a little mushed. The card stock is a little more durable.

ChandraAz
11-12-2004, 02:27 AM
I have to agree that the true quilling papers are wonderful to work with, but like everyone else, I find the selection just ok. We have a wonderful paper crafts store locally, though, and they stock a pretty good supply.

I have been using a lite weight cardstock (hand cutting it, at that !!) and find that it rolls quite nice. Not so great for the smaller intricate designs though. It makes great scrolls and holds it shape well. I use a quilters see-thru ruler and cutting mat to get a 1/8th in.strip. Would love to know more about the shredder. I have investigated shredders at the office supply stores and the smallest cut I have found is 1/4 in.

FYI - I did try a little test to see what would happen to a quilled card in the mail. I mailed a simple floral card (a six petaled flower with a few decorative scrolls, done with quilling paper) to myself, and found that the flower held up ok, the scroll bits were a little mushed. The card stock is a little more durable.

Good idea, never thoguht of that! I mail my quilled pieces out alot, but I ususlly use bubble wrap! Never sent a card.