PDA

View Full Version : Help with size of shapes. ASAP

Vegas1967
11-17-2005, 08:13 PM
I just completed a white cross for my mom that was from a pattern but while I was doing it I had to do several of the shapes to get the right size. I also wasted slme of my strips too while trying to get the right size not to mention the extra time. Anyway, the cross came out really nice & now a friend paid me to make her mother-in-law one for Christmas. But I am having the same trouble getting the size right. I have a circle template but I really dont know how to use it for the quilling. I tried a circle that I thought would be right but it didn't come out the size I needed. I get either too small or too big. So my question is how can I make the shapes the right size on the first try without wasting time & paper. Plus I have a Dec. 15th deadline. Help! :eek: Thanks.
Marianne

Cheryl
11-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Marianne,
I know how you feel on this topic. I had much trouble getting them the same size too. It can be very frustrating. I do use the circle board. If you have the one from this site, they have instructions as to what length strips to use for each circle. It will also depend on the tension you use and the type of paper. The thicker the paper, the circles seem to expand more and less is needed. The thinner paper keeps the shape better and it usually more is needed. Mine usually turn out tighter in the middle and looser around the ends, especially with longer lengths of paper. I am not sure if you use the slotted tool or needle tool, but I use either the needle tool or a regular needle (to have nice small centers) and I have to use longer strips of paper. Keep practicing with different lengths to see which one is right for the amount for the tension you use. You will get the hang of it soon enough.
Cheryl

mlk
11-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi
I dont know if this well help any but what I do is that I take a ruler and mesure out the length of the strip I want and then mark where to glue the end of it when I an done rolling. Tehn I roll it then glue the end to where I put the mark then I can have them all the small size.
Hope that helps!!
Good luck
mlk :cool:

Vegas1967
11-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks Cheryl & Mlk,

I will try all your tips out. Mlk, I understand what you mean when you say to mark it then glue at the mark but I think that will only work if your doing a circle & not another shape like a tear drop. But that is a really good tip for circles though. I will try it. As far as my deadline is concerned, my mom told me that I can give my friend my mom's cross & then take my time to make my mom another one. I'm glad because after I told my friend that I could do it, I started thinking that maybe & couldn't do it in time. Well thanks again for helping me out.
Vegas 1967 :)

craftingsue
11-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi vegas, I have been teaching several people to quill and I have noticed that everyone seems to make different size circles from the same lengths of paper. I think it may have something to do with tension.

Anyway, what I did was roll some circles with various lengths and put them in the circle template and then see what lengths see to work the best.

Here are the results for me, which at least might give you an idea of where to start.
# 6 hole - 3" length
# 5 hole - 4 - 6" lengths
# 4 hole - 6 - 8"
# 3 hole - 8 - 12"
# 2 hole - 12 - 16"
# 1 hole - 16 - 24"
# 0 hole - 24 - 36"

I think the variation depends both on the thickness of the strip (as someone else mentioned) and also how much you want the coil to open. For example, when I am making the face of an animal and want to be able to glue on wiggly eyes, I am likely to use a longer strip so the face will be quite full.

Hope this helps. :)

mlk
11-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks Cheryl & Mlk,

I will try all your tips out. Mlk, I understand what you mean when you say to mark it then glue at the mark but I think that will only work if your doing a circle & not another shape like a tear drop. But that is a really good tip for circles though. I will try it. As far as my deadline is concerned, my mom told me that I can give my friend my mom's cross & then take my time to make my mom another one. I'm glad because after I told my friend that I could do it, I started thinking that maybe & couldn't do it in time. Well thanks again for helping me out.
Vegas 1967 :)

It works for anything, squares, triangels, mariques, and especialy tear drops because you pinch where you glue and then its seemless

mlk :cool: