PDA

View Full Version : Huskings

Vegas1967
11-11-2005, 04:00 PM
I never did a pattern with huskings before but I was just wondering if you need a husking board or if you can do it without it. I have a quilling board. :D

craftingsue
11-11-2005, 08:45 PM
I use my quilling board for my husking. You just need a paper pattern so you know where to put your pins. I also put that pattern under a piece of wax paper so the husking doesn't inadvertently stick to the paper.

Actually, I don't even know what a husking board is or how it differs from a quilling board. Maybe someone else will enlighten. Sue

gecko77
04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I use my quilling board for my husking. You just need a paper pattern so you know where to put your pins. I also put that pattern under a piece of wax paper so the husking doesn't inadvertently stick to the paper.

Actually, I don't even know what a husking board is or how it differs from a quilling board. Maybe someone else will enlighten. Sue

A husking board has pins already set into it in particular patterns, so can be limiting when you want to change the size or anything else in your husking. You cannot change the pins around very easily.

I use a normal quilling board (well a polystyrene lid from an ice box some chemicals came in), a set of small pins and a piece of grpah paper so if I want to do several huskings the same size I can use the lines on the graph paper to ensure that the pins are in the same pattern. I usually let the glue dry properly before lifting the husking off the pins (or the pins from the husking...).

Personally I don't see the point in going to the expense of a husking board (and some other "tools") as you can often do more different rechniques without them! :p

Karin1969
04-29-2006, 10:48 AM
I did my first lot of huskings this week, and have made two cards from them. I have yet to photograph them and post them, but I found it really easy to do, and quick.

I have a piece of cardboard with a graph paper on it which is covered in contact plastic. I put this on top of one of my cork tiles on a clipboard, and that way the pins could go in deep enough.

I also just looked at the dot pattern in a book for a simple fan husking, and replicated that. I think for the more complicated patterns I will "trace" them onto the paper I work on and cover with wax paper as previously suggested, but I haven't got to the complicated ones yet.

I was very happy with the result and will definately do more. :D