PDA

View Full Version : prices?

scrapperamber
09-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Do any of you do quilling projects and sell them? I've seena few on ebay and such- but I am really curious as to how much to charge for different items and how you go about doing this. I would love to know asap! Thanks!

Cheryl
09-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Scapperamber,
I do sell my work but most of it is through word of mouth. I was selling them at a friends pharmacy, but the manager in charge was not giving me the right amount and I pulled out. They were also taking 20%. If you look at my gallery, the 8x10 frames went for $20-$25. That included painting the frames. The fabric frames were $12. The baskets were $4.The bigger more time consuming things like the collie was $40. I have never tried e-bay because if it you do not set a price and you do not get what you want, it is a waste. Some of the stuff I have seen on peoples websites are pretty pricey. I do not really make out to much but if it is too high no one will buy.Good luck. Hope to see some pictures. :D

gemstatemom
09-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Do any of you do quilling projects and sell them? I've seena few on ebay and such- but I am really curious as to how much to charge for different items and how you go about doing this. I would love to know asap! Thanks!

scrapperamber,
This is a perenniel question that is raised over and over, and even experienced quillers constantly revisit it!

I am probably one of those who's items are pricier than many. Consequently, I do not sell on eBay.

I approach my pricing from a different perspective. I view this not as a craft or a pastime, but an artform...a very time-consuming one! While I do enjoy it as a relaxing way to explore my creativity, I give away a lot of pieces (the majority) as gifts to family and friends. If I only make peanuts for a piece that requires 4 hours, I would much rather give it to someone I love than sell it to a perfect stranger!!

As a homeschooling mom of 5 children, time is precious. I quill because I love it and because I want to have unique and priceless gifts to give to dear ones. I am willing to sell it, but not if it means I make $2 or $3 / hour for my time...it is not worth the effort and the inconvenience to fit it into my daily schedule for that.

So, I guess it comes down to, what is your time worth to YOU?? Are you willing to sell something that takes 2 hours for $5, or $10, or $15? (Don't forget you have ebay listing fees to consider, price of shipping materials/boxes/bubblewrap/ postage + your time to package everything up and bring to post office). Make sure that you charge enough to make it worthwhile to you. While it is true that I don't sell a ton at this point ( I am not marketing locally or trying hard to sell items except for posting samples of things available to my website)...I am also not feeling guilty for creating lovely things when in impacts our family life and am left feeling like I am not adequately compensated. From my husband's wise perspective, "Why go through all that work for so little return? Your kids need you more...your time to us is worth way more than that!!"

So, much will depend on your season in life. Are you single, childless, or do you have a number of small children at home? Do you work full-time at a job and have lots of evening commitments? Are your children grown, are you retired and looking for an enjoyable way fill some hours and earn a bit at the same time? These are all factors that will weigh in what you will consider 'worth your time'.

One more thought: the less you charge, the less likely this beautiful art form will be recognized as a legitimate art and not just a 'craft'. I do not consider what I do a 'craft'. If you do, that is fine...but then don't be surprised when juried art sales or other shows or museums don't want to allow quilled work in because it is not viewed as legitimate art!! Price and perceived value seem to go hand in hand. Also, cards are not viewed as 'high value'. The same amount of work can be invested into a framed piece and command 2 or 3 times the price.

Don't forget this is a handcrafted artform...and don't let people tell you, "Gracious! It's ONLY paper!" I'd so love to hand them a few strips and invite them to see what THEY can create with a few strips!! No, it is not difficult to learn how to roll a coil. It just takes patience and skill to fit them all together into a lovely, artistically pleasing composition, and a lot of practice to create even tension and lovely work.

The odd thing is, I have had other artists and even quilling artists note that in some markets, the same piece that is priced low may sell faster when the price is raised...simply because the consumer attaches more value to it.

In a nutshell...I try keep track of how long a piece takes me.
I charge what I consider a fair price for my time invested, add on materials costs (for my quilling supplies, frame costs, mat costs -- I cut my own, but that again adds time to the project), try to consider any paints, sprays, sealers, embellishments I used to create the piece: pearlized dusts, pearls, ribbons, etc), try to estimate fair shipping costs. (I do not charge shipping, so sometimes I lose if I do not estimate accurately). Many people follow a materials costs x 3 as their price, but with quilling, that is not a good formula to follow as the expense of paper is minimal.

Just a few thoughts to consider.

Sorry to go on and on! Hope some of the info is worthwhile as you try to make a decision about your prices.