PDA

View Full Version : Question for Dave & Ali

Cheryl
06-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Dave & Ali,
I was wondering if you ever thought of asking your fellow quillers to donate some of their card to donate to different charities? For example get well an inspirational cards for cancer patients, sick children, and nursing homes. I know it is a time consuming task but well worth it. I made a card for my sister-in-law who recently had both of her breasts removed and she treasures it. I got the idea from my sister who is involved with a small group who make hats for cancer patients and afgans for new mothers who can not afford much. I know this would be a lot to ask of people concidering they would have to pay the postage to send them to you but to know that some one is happy even for a short time, is worth it. It may even inspire new quillers. Just a thought.

Dave
06-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Cheryl,
Thanks for your post. This sounds like a wonderful idea. We would love to do what we can to bring a smile to others. Especially those going through difficult situations.

Lets open this discussion some more and get input from others. Does anyone have any comments or insight regarding this? Does anyone have any suggested charities that might benefit from something like this? What else can we do as a Quilling Community to bless others?

Thanks,
Dave

Canan
06-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Dear Dave & Alli,
I think Cheryl's idea is great. I would like to make a card and send it to you for this project. Even though I live in Turkey, it is not a problem to mail a card.
Hugs
Canan :)

Quillbee
06-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Whatever you decide - I'm in !!
I also knit for the preemie babies and donate to local hospitals. I am trying to ensure that I will "go to heaven" when it comes time, and I figure helping others is a good start (especially the preemies). (it's my own personal joke, cause I don't have any sins to atone for anyways - ya right !!!)
I wondered though about the hospitals. I know my local ones take donated items that they sell in the gift shop. That might be more indirect than what Cheryl is thinking, though.
Actually, now she has got me thinking....

Dave
06-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I was doing some searching online and found this website:

http://www.artistshelpingchildren.org

It is a non-profit organization that encourages artists to donate their art to give to children in hospitals. One of the programs they are promoting is making cards for children in hospitals! So it sounds like this might be a good fit.

Here is some more info specifically about making cards for them:

http://www.artistshelpingchildren.org/flyerkidscards0505.doc

Here is more info taken from their website about what the charity does:
Artists Helping Children is a Children's Charity dedicated to comforting children with donated artwork, donated murals, donated art supplies, donated toys and a lot of love. Our children's charity, Artists Helping Children, is looking for volunteer artists, volunteer muralists, volunteer illustrators, volunteer fundraisers, volunteer flyer distributors, and volunteer event planners. We are very thankful to any loving person who would like to help children and our children's advocacy charity organization. No child should ever have to be sad or have to suffer, that is why our children's charity is dedicated to bringing artwork and art supplies to so many white-walled institutions. Our Children's Charity is also looking for donations to help us bring the above said artwork and art supplies to needy, sick, and abused children. Every donation, no matter how small, can help us with paint brushes, paint, canvas, and other supplies that are needed for our wonderful cause. Other donations to our children's charity is also helpful, such as art supplies, toys, children's arts and crafts supplies, artwork, murals, office supplies, and the like are always welcome. If you like kids, and you have a love of art and of making kids happy, please support our children's nonprofit charity.

Let me know what everyone thinks or if they have found any other charities. If everyone is in favor of this charity, I will setup a plan to make it happen.

"...I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." - Matthew 25:40

This is a great idea!
Dave
Quilled Creations

Cheryl
06-20-2005, 06:40 AM
Canon
I think it would be a great idea if you made it known on the card(s) that it was made in Turkey. Not only would he/she be very excited about it coming from another country, they may even ask for a little history about your country. I have 2 nieces (3 & 6) and they love to receive mail. I could not imagine how excited and curious they would be if it came from so far away.
Cheryl

fsignorell
06-22-2005, 12:52 PM
:) :) :)

Ok, I also join you in that charity, very nice idea indeed, hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards to everybody.
Francine (from Switzerland)

Xanaville
06-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone,
I just learned about quilling cards for charities and I am very interested about helping. I live in Spain but thatīs not a problem for me. All I need is the address where to send it to and the age group to make something appropriate for them.
Count me in!
Greetings!
Mary-Cruz (Xanaville) :)

Canan
06-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Dear Dave,
What do we do now? What is our plan for action?
Canan ;)

barbiej
06-23-2005, 09:59 AM
I agree, this is a great idea. Let us know when you have the particulars and how you want to organize it.
Barbie

Cheryl
06-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Dave,
Please let me know if this is going to be some thing that we are going to do. I have a few questions for you. I made 2 cards so far but I do not know how you want it signed inside. Shouldn't it be signed as a group instead of by individuals? Do you have labels or stamps that have the Quilled Creation name on it? Then maybe each artist can put their name on the back. I have stickers with my name that I put on all my pieces. I will be working on a few more Get well soon and birthday cards over the next few days. I would rather send a few of them out at a time. Do you think if I put them in a box they would stay in tact? It is so nice to see so many from outside the U.S. that are willing to donate. :D
Cheryl

TwoFuzzyFerrets
06-23-2005, 07:03 PM
I know this is a quilling forum but I'm VERY new to quilling! Do you think it'd be ok if I made a card that did not consist of my poor quilling skills? :D I'm great at paper embroidery and iris and tea bag folding and just barely getting the hang of quilling! I'd love to participate in this donation though. Let me know what you think and where to send it.

Thanks!
Lori

Dave
06-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Okay,
It sounds like there are enough people interested to move ahead with the Quilled Cards for Charity. I think we will make this part of our July contest. Each card will count as an entry. That will give everyone the month of July to send in their cards. In return we will also take studio photographs of each of them and create a new section of the Gallery just for the cards. As long as you provide us with your informaiton, we will give credit to each of the artists.

I will try to answer some of the questions that have been asked:
- Regarding how to label your cards. I would recommend putting your name on the back or your signature, since you are the artist. We want you to get the credit you deserve. We will probably add a small sticker that says something like "Quilled Creations Quilling Forum Member".

- Where to send the cards? You can mail them to us at the address below and then at the end of July we will send all the cards in together.
Quilled Creations
PO Box 492
Penfield, NY 14526
USA

- How to send? If it is just one card you can probably use a padded envelope. If you have more than one card, I would recommend sending them in a box with bubble wrap between each card.

- Do you need to be an experienced quiller? NO! Quilling is an amazing craft that so many people have never seen. So even if it is the work of a beginner most people are going to be very impressed!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will have this and many more details announced in our July contest coming next week.

Thanks,
Dave
Quilled Creations

fsignorell
06-24-2005, 02:26 AM
Hello Dave,

Thank you so much for answering so many questions, and thank you too for doing all that job for the charity cards. I look forward to seeing all the cards on the quilling forum at the end of July.
Great!!!!! :) :)
Very best wishes and kind regards
Francine

barbiej
06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone,
I know I have replied that I would love to do this but the events over this past weekend has really hit home for me. I just returned home from the IWK Children's Hospital after a very long weekend with my 17 month old son, who was admitted with a bad virus which caused breathing problems. I think any child in any hospital would love to receive something that was made with love and concern. It might even help the parents out too!

Canan
06-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Hello friends,
I am so proud to be a member of this group. I am going to start making my card tomorrow.
Keep quilling.
Canan :)

quill4fun
06-28-2005, 08:39 PM
My question is this....should our cards be children oriented, or will they be going to various places? I know the original post on this mentioned cancer patients, as well as nursing homes?
Maybe you can help us, Dave, since you will be the one eventually sending them to the charity organizations.

Isn't this going to be fun to see everyone's work. I am so pleased you are going to go to all the work to post the entries, Dave!! :D

Thanks....Quill4fun

Canan
07-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi friends!
I have just finished my card :D .But I can't decide if I should write something in it. If so, write what? something like "Get well soon" maybe :confused: .
Help please (and keep quilling!)
Canan

roosterquill
07-01-2005, 11:33 PM
What size should the cards for charity be?

gayle
07-02-2005, 11:47 AM
:) What a fabulous idea. Is it going to be cards in every category or are they all to be for children? Please let me know so I can get started!!!

Gayle
Creemore, On, Canada

Hera
07-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Hello all! I just started quilling for the first time today, and so far so good. I love it! Then I come across this forum on this site, and I am very overwhelmed by the outpouring of this artistic community to a charitable event! Good vibes here...very good. I'm also amazed that this community is international, and I think that's terrific. I'm very inspired and would be honored to join y'all in making cards to donate. I'm totally stoked. ~Hera

Canan
07-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Dear Dave & Alli,
I am going to mail my cards tomorrow morning. I made 3 cards. I hope you like them. ı wrapped each card with bubbled plastic and put in a padded envelope. I do hope they arrive safe. Please, let me know when you receive them. It usually takes about 10 - 12 days from Turkey to USA.
Thank you so much for your efforts.
Hugs
Canan

quillbud
07-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi all,
I am new to quilling and am so facinated with all the photos. Can any one show me how to make a simple folded rose. Thankyou.

fsignorell
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi all,
I am new to quilling and am so facinated with all the photos. Can any one show me how to make a simple folded rose. Thankyou.
Hello,

I started quilling in the beginning of this year and learned the way to make folded roses on the following site:
www.parchcraftaustralia.com/folded_roses.htm. As my english is not so good to explain all that to you, you better go and see there how it is going on. Hope this helps you.
Kind regards.
Francine