PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone!

michellekf777
10-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Hi there. I just joined this group and thought I'd let y'all know I'm here! :)
I live in Bellevue, WA and am a stay-at-home mom. I also go to college. I just went back after almost 8 years of being out. I'm working on getting my nursing degree.
Anyway...this morning while waiting for my daughter to wake up, I was watching the DIY network. There was a scrapbooking show on and they were demonstrating quilling. I've always seen the really cool things you can make but have never made any myself. However, I'm looking forward to it.

Michelle

ChandraAz
10-16-2004, 03:05 AM
welcome to Quilled Creations. You will love quilling and quickly be addicted too! :0) it is a beautiful art. I am a SAHM too, well I guess I"m not now. I started working not too long ago, just a part time evening job to get out of the house and help out with Christmas. My little one is 3, 4 in December. I look forward to chatting with you!

Octobercloud
10-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Got actually a question for stay-at-home-mom's...
I have many friends that have childrens (I don't have any kids yet) and they do not have time to do anything but take care of their childrens. How do you all manage to actually do a craft like quilling with small chaildrens?
Very interested in knowing about how you actually manage everything.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Octobercloud...

cheran
10-18-2004, 11:52 AM
I am for the most part a SAHM other than 12 hours a week that I work. Expressing my artistic side is difficulte, but I have learned that naps and bed time are wonderful things! Plus there are those wonderful times that they do go to their room to play instead of crawling all over me. My kids are 2 and 4 , plus I have one on the way. This is where I think that Quilling and I will drift apart for a small bit. I've got to squeeze in a nap or two after that. I think we all manage in some of our interest in our lives. I've also started the 4 year old in the quilling. They are not that great but I love watching him try. I like to take a strips of color and cut it into different size strips and curl them real quick. Then I come back later and shape them in what ever style I wish. It helps some with the insanity :eek: I have been quilling since August and love it!

missy
10-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Good for you to find that little bit of time for yourself! Thanks for showing your quilling design you did a great job!

ChandraAz
10-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Got actually a question for stay-at-home-mom's...
I have many friends that have childrens (I don't have any kids yet) and they do not have time to do anything but take care of their childrens. How do you all manage to actually do a craft like quilling with small chaildrens?
Very interested in knowing about how you actually manage everything.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Octobercloud...

I have been a SAHM for almost 4 years now. I swore I would never become a lazy at home mom that did nothing but sit home all day! I was so WRONG stereptyping SAHM's. I love being a SAHM and I have never been BUSIER! You really are busy all darn day! I some how find time to do my crafting. Usually after Sky is in bed. My little girl is almost 4 and I can sit her down with paints and paper now and she will let me get some crafting done. There was no time for it in the beginning, but it is slowly starting up again. It is the hardest job I have ever had, but would never give it up! when you have kids, ALOT changes, you will find time for your stuff eventually! ;) I did just recently start working at Michael's part time, so I just added that to my busy schedule! We're all secretly crazy! heehee.

barbiej
11-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi everyone,
Just joined the forum tonight and have learned a lot reading everyone's replies to different questions. I am a stay at home mom with a 4 1/2 year old and 9 1/2 month old. I just started quilling a few months ago. I remember seeing it on Carol Duvall's show several years ago and thought it was beautiful. I finally found time to search it on the internet and ordered some supplies and the rest is history. My oldest boy is very busy ;) so the only time I have time to do crafts (I tole paint as well) is when he is at nursery school or in bed for the night. The baby is a doll, he just watches me and smiles. My first night quilling I was up until 2 in the morning before I realized the time! :eek: I love it, you get to completely lose yourself in it. I love doing fine, detailed crafts so quilling is right up my alley. So advice to those who don't have time to do your crafting, steal time when you can, because a mom has to have some time to herself each day and what a better way to spend it than creating something beautiful.
Barbie

Quillbee
11-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Barbie - you and I must have joined at the same time last night - seems the only time I do get some time for myself !!
I have only been quilling for a few months, but like you, love the detailed work. I knit, crochet and scrapbook as well, although they have all taken a back seat for now. But the more intricate the knitting pattern, the more I enjoy it.
I was amazed at how far reaching the craft is - but how few actually do it.
It's good to know there are others out there who are reviving this amazing art form. ;)

Octobercloud - in answer to your question - if the bed's don't get made, the dishes stay in the sink, and the laundry isn't done - so be it. Take care of the kids, (mine are 4 and 4 months) and make some sanity time for yourself, whatever it is. I'm lucky that my husband is very helpful and supportive.

barbiej
11-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Quillbee- Surprise, it's almost 11 and I get some me time. I agree with you totally about the housework waiting because children grow up quickly and I'd much rather get my hands dirty baking cookies with them than cleaning :D How long have you been quilling? I just started a few months ago but love it. I did birth samplers for my boys (pretty basic ones) but I love them. My oldest picked out the design he wanted - teddy bear holding balloons - so he's pretty proud that he got to be involved with it as well.
I see you're also Canadian, which part?
It's reassuring to see that there are other moms out there like me, typing away late at night, taking a little break from the everyday. :)
Barbie

Teresa Patcheson
01-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Cheran, I loved your whimsical card. It also expresses how I feel a lot of the time!

I am not a SAHM - I have never been able to have kids, tho I have always wanted to. I compensate with animals, and currently have a sled dog team - 7 Siberian huskies, and two Bouvier des Flandres house dogs. The older male Bouv is my surrogate son - I helped his mother give birth to him, and supplemented his feed with goat's milk when he was a puppy - fed in a normal baby bottle!

We also have 3 cats of our own, plus one of my mother's - my mother is staying with us while my husband builds her house.

I am stay-at-home at the moment, though. I normally work in Forestry, but I have had a back injury for 3 years now and I am waiting for a second operation. That's why I enjoy quilling so much. There's days when I can hardly move around, but I can always quill. It stops me from feeling useless. Very therapeutic. I'd love to make a living at it actually (or at least support my habit). I haven't been doing it long - just a year - and have a lot to learn. Not so much in techniques, but in being able to bring a light and fresh touch to my work.

I empathise with you about finding uninterrupted time. If you think children are distracting to quilling, wait till you see my animals. The cats, of course, are fascinated and like to "help" - usually with long strands of paper. If I leave my work lying flat, my little siamese thinks I have left her a new bed. My old Bouvier likes to head-butt me, just as I am about to glue on a delicate piece. And the sled dogs outside in their pen frequently break into a chorus of wolf-howls to serenade me as I work.

I live with my husband in the forest in Northwestern Ontario, and wouldn't trade my little menagerie for anything.

Cheers

Teresa

jackiep1962
01-09-2005, 03:36 PM
I am also a stay at home Mum, and have been for 10 years got lots of health problems worked as a nurse for 17 years but forced to give up through health. I have a son aged 22 and a daughter 18, and a great hubby.

I started with cross stitch but can't really do that as I have carpel tunnel, so then started card making, decoupage and also scrapbooking, I am also a really big fan of Ebay and I am always buying from there mainly from America because they are such friendly sellers. Quilling is my very newsest hobby, and I have to say that I really love it. Also have a springer Spaniel called Ben, another nutcase in our family, lol.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Jackie