PDA

View Full Version : photo of frame order

gemstatemom
04-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi quillers,
Just finished a big custom order ...three frames. I posted the photo to my gallery, as I don't want to eat up memory by posting it twice.

No patterns, just created as I went. The next project is to create instructions for the designs themselves.

Feedback and critique are welcomed!

pea245
04-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Paula those frames are fantastic!! I am just awed at your talent. I LOVE the hibiscus and the hydrangea! Your work is wonderful and I am so glad that you share it with us. Seeing you work just reinforces my addiction to quilling..LOL I know that if my hydrangeas end up looking half as good as yours, then they will be a success :p

Thanks again for sharing,

Ashlee

gemstatemom
04-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Paula those frames are fantastic!! ...Seeing you work just reinforces my addiction to quilling..LOL
Ashlee

Ashlee, thank you.... that's one of the great things about seeing other's work....it tends to spur you on to greater things and to set your sights a bit higher. I certainly had my quilling 'mentors' that I turned to again and again for inspiration. It is quite an honor to hear I am filling that role for somebody else. Thanks for your high praise. I'm sure your hydrangeas will turn out lovely.

quill4fun
04-25-2005, 02:15 PM
:) Hi, Gemstate Quiller.......I am sooo anxious to see your recently finished project you mentioned, but alas, I can't find it! Where is it hiding on your website? I love your work, so am looking forward to feasting my eyes on what you've just finished. Thanks for your help........I'll let you know what I think!

Quill4fun.

gemstatemom
04-25-2005, 04:45 PM
:) Hi, Gemstate Quiller.......I am sooo anxious to see your recently finished project you mentioned, but alas, I can't find it! Where is it hiding on your website? I love your work, so am looking forward to feasting my eyes on what you've just finished. Thanks for your help........I'll let you know what I think!

Quill4fun.

Dear Quill4fun,
Your enthusiasm made me chuckle (a delighted chuckle, to be sure!) So sorry....I don't have them uploaded to my website yet! But they are located in here in the Members Gallery. Click on the Photo Gallery link up at the top of the page, and click on members gallery (last in the list, I think) My folder is under my user name, GemStateMom.

quill4fun
04-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Oh, yes, I found them without a problem. Just exquisite! My fav. is the green one with the roses.....it is sooo dainty. But the hydrangeas.....now they are unique and bold and really make a splash. Lovely! Which punch did you use to make them? Was it you that gave the tip the other day about using a foam ball cut in half? That is using your noggin!
Do you get most of your orders via your website?
Your work is lovely...keep it up. Quill4fun

quill4fun
04-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Hi, again, Gemstatemom......be at ease to tell me I am too nosy if you feel that I am, but I was wondering how much you charged for the three frames?

Thanks and pay me no mind if I'm getting too snoopy!

Quillfun

gemstatemom
04-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Quill4fun,
I don't mind answering at all. I don't sell much via my website...it is mostly visited by other quillers, looking for ideas and inspiration. I, of course, don't know this for sure because so few people take the time to leave feedback or comments.
To illustrate, I have had over 14,500 visitors since I started my website in January 2004, and only maybe 50 people have signed the guestbook. The only thing I can go on are the search terms used to find my site...and it seems to indicate most searches are by quillers looking for patterns and designs.

Just one more comment about sites and I'll get off my soapbox: people who do not own/manage a website have little comprehension of how much time and energy it takes to create and keep new material added to a site. It is always a much-appreciated gesture when visitors will take a few minutes to let you know they stopped by and to share what they enjoyed about the site. It really is just a simple courtesy to extend to those site owners who invest so much energy to make a pleasant place to visit. For some reason, in this electronic age, people assume that since they can't be seen, therefore they can leave their manners behind! Speaking of which, have you taken the time to visit the guestbook here at Quilled Creations to express your appreciation for their efforts to create a nice 'home' for us? Yes...you! LOL Okay, I've had my little 'toot' here...back to the subject of prices!

The frames are very large, so my designs also had to be sized a bit larger than usual. For instance, I usually use half a small foam ball (yes, that was my tip!) as a form, but it was too small and was swallowed up by the large expanse of frame. In desperation I searched the house high and low for a bigger form...and siezed upon a game piece from the children's game of 'Cootie' that I found lying about...the head was the perfect size! LOL...and it was even flat on one side so it didn't roll about! Perfect. It is probably 1.75" in diameter.

The three frames also required painting, as they were unfinished, so after approx. 30 hours of work invested in them (possibly more...I quit keeping track because I really didn't want to know anymore...I was way over the 12 hours I estimated it would take me!!!) the client was charged a bit under $180. (this was a quote before I started the work, so I was locked into that price).

From that price I needed to deduct the commission charges & mark-up fees from the on-line art store that I sell through (where most of my on-line business has come from), credit card charges, shipping costs, etc. That brings me down to $125. From that I must deduct the cost of the frames/shipping of $35.00, not even including the cost of the quilling papers, paints and sealants used, which are harder to figure out. That brings my net earnings to under $85... for 30 hours of work!

So while it seems like a bunch when you see the intial price, when you figure out what goes into it, it's a mere pittance! But I love my art, and maybe someday I'll earn a living wage from it. :confused:

For those who are still with me down here at the end, I hope the info was helpful. If there is one thing I would love to see, it is quillers valuing their work highly enough. It is incredibly labor intensive and while it is 'just paper'....let some Joe off the street duplicate what we do!! 90% of the general population (or more) would toss it after 10 minutes! Quillers are some of the most patient people I know! LOL Now if I would just start taking my own advice! :p

quill4fun
04-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for your long and newsy reply Gemstatemom...I enjoyed reading it all. I am one of the many browsers that peek and vanish without ever signing a guest book. It is good to hear your view from the other side of the fence so to speak, and I will try and think about that little gesture of courtesty from now on. Oh, how well I know how labor intensive quilling is and I have often wondered how anyone makes a living at it or even a profit if they figure their time is worth anything at all. So I guess my sign in name say it all......quill4FUN! :) :) We love it so that is why we do it, right? I do love the viewpoint of looking at quilling as an art rather than a craft......to me, it is. I love your innovative spirit as you searched for the right "mold" for your hydrangeas. I just wonder what your kids are going to say when they go to play their game and find out you have used a couple pieces for a quilling project. That's a good one.

Happy quilling........quill4fun

gemstatemom
04-26-2005, 08:28 PM
e going to say when they go to play their game and find out you have used a couple pieces for a quilling project. That's a good one. quill4fun

Quill4fun,
LOL -- I got a chuckle out of that thought...but the form is not kept inside the hydrangea...it is only used to form the shell over. Once it is finished, I lift the completed flower off and can use the form (in this case, the Cootie head) again and again.
If I am worried about the hydrangeas getting crushed (for instance if they were on a journal cover) I would probably leave the foam half inside to give it added strength; otherwise, there is no need for it to stay in.

cheran
04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Well I know how hard it is to come up with a price also! You don't want to charge too much and have all you creations sitting around so only you can enjoy them. But you don't want to degrade the work and time you put in for each piece. I just had a formal viewing of my creations in which people could look and special order what caught their eye. I found myself pricing low for now to get my buisness up and running. I figured that I would make this stuff anyway whether I got paid for it or not. I just hope that it was enough of a push to get my name out there!
I was looking at your lamp shade in the gallery and I love the fact that some of the designs that we get, are from someone elses head! Our job is to make it a reality. I love to quill and it does make it nice to have others appreciate it too.
For those who have yet to sell a piece, don't get discuraged! I had many times that I fell flat on my face! I just had to realize that I quill because I enjoy it, love it, and it's a lot of fun. Art is not a great buisness if that is why you do art. If you love it and do it no matter what, selling your pieces is just an added bonus! :D
I too have been to your site (long ago), had a problem signing in though?! I love the fact that you and your daughter have been able to do this together! Thanks to you and others on this site for not only inspiring us but helping us out with tips and information that help us to enjoy what we do even more! :)

quill4fun
04-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Oh, I get it......Duh :p I never thought about taking the form out of the hydrangea after it was finished. I am quite intrigued with these hydrangeas...yours are the first I've ever seen and I want to try my hand at it when I can find a clover punch. Thanks for new ideas and inspiration.

It's time to go quill.........quill4fun