PDA

View Full Version : Jane Jenkins books

Wanda
04-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi! I bought some books from Jane Jenkins and I cannot figure out her length. She uses 1/16, 1/2, 1/8 etc. Can someone help me figure out the inches? Thanks

gemstatemom
04-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Wanda,
This is an excellent question that can really throw quillers who have not worked with patterns from UK (and sometimes Australia) ....which often use strip length measurements as a fraction of total strip length.

Jane Jenkins papers are 17" long.
So

1/2 a strip or approx. 8.5"
1/4 a strip = approx. 4.25"
etc.

Be careful though! You need to have some idea of what brand of papers they are using!! For instance, Lake City papers are 24" long. If you use 1/2 a strip of LC papers, you will have a 12" length ...and those extra 3.5" can make quite a difference in the size of your finished project!!

Many specialty Dutch papers are only 12" long....
so 1/2 a strip is only 6" long.

It's a bit confusing at first. And actually, strip lengths are not a cut-in-stone thing. Some people coil strips with more tension than others. An 8" strip may only make a 1/2" diameter loose coil for some, but be closer to a 3/4" diameter loose coil for other quillers. You will need to adjust lengths to suit your style of quilling if it is important for your finished project to be close to the same size as the pattern you are following.

Does this help, or just create more confusion? Please ask for further clarification if necessary.

As an aside, I have begun a new forum board connected with my website. It is not intended to be in competition with other groups for forums currently offered, but I am trying to create a clearinghouse of information for beginning quillers - someplace where they can go to get basic info without having to search through archives for hours or pipe up and asked what they fear are 'dumb questions'. LOL We've all been there. The forum is a work in progress, so I have not gotten very far. If you have info you found helpful as a beginning quiller, I would welcome your contributions. And any other suggestions of possible topics to add would be gratefully received.

http://www.gemstatequilling.com/forum